Thursday, November 30, 2006

Really, I have a lot to get done, but instead...

Alright, I'm not much of a college basketball fan. It might be because I was never that good at the sport, so I don't appreciate the more "pure" form of basketball. It could be because my team, the Oregon Ducks, wasn't very good when I was growing up as a sports fan. It may be because the Blazers occupied so much of my basketball fan-ness as a kid that I didn't have room to develop as a college basketball fan. However, my fanatacism has been growing ever since Luke, Luke, and Fred turned my words around sophomore year at Wheaton. At the end of that football season Oregon crushed Colorado in the Fiesta Bowl, making the BCS look foolish for putting Miami and Nebraska in the title game. About the same time, the basketball team lost to Minnesota. One of the guys on my floor left me a note rubbing in the fact that the Ducks lost to the Gophers. I told him that I didn't care, since the Oregon basketball team was never that good and so not worth following. Apparently the big three didn't appreciate my comments, because they proceeded to take Oregon as far as it had been in the NCAA tournament since winning the whole thing in the inaugural tourney back in 1963. I started following them as the season went on, and then I made the trip up to Madison to watch the elite eight game against Kansas. By the way, that game was fantastic--Hinrich, Collison, Gooden anchored the Kansas team, and the trio of Ducks I've already mentioned held their own for Oregon. I say all of this to give context to my next statement: I'm pretty excited for the rest of the college basketball season, and would be even if Oregon hadn't beaten Georgetown last night in their first ever meeting. It was also the first Oregon win against a tp 25 team on the east coast. Ever. That's a big deal. In fact, Oregon didn't even play their best game. Sure, the basketball team might just be setting us up like the football team routinely does, but it's still an exciting prospect, being undefeated early on and beating a big-time east-coast program in their house.

............................................................

On an unrelated pop-culture topic, I'm a huge fan of Studio 60 on NBC. This morning I found a pretty funny graphic that I thought I should share with anyone who reads this. So here it is, from this site.

1 comment:

Lewis said...

I Love Studio 60 as well, but I shouldn't according to that diagram. Oh well.