Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I'm not sure if this is a good sign or a bad sign

I'm slowly becoming the Sports Guy.

Sorry, without context that might be a little over the top. Here's the context: every day I get up between 7:00 and 8:00, check my email and facebook over cereal, shower, and head off to my coffee shop. While there I read the several emails from news organizations I get and check a bunch of blogs and sports websites. Some days I do homework. Lately, instead of doing homework, I write about one of my favorite sports teams. No one else cares about my teams. Yet. Then I head off to my gig as a student teacher, from there to class, and then more of nothing in the afternoon as I hang out with Jacob, Collin, Danny, and Alissa. Each evening has a TV show--Monday=Studio 60, Tuesday=House, Wednesday=South Park, Thursday=Freakshow--and each night is topped off with the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. Then I walk back to my apartment and go to bed.

The Sports Guy similarities are striking to me, except that I'm not getting paid to write, my stuff hasn't convinced an entire subgroup of US males to root for my teams, I'm not spoiled by having two of my three favorite sports teams win championships in the last few years, and I should do my homework before I fail out of grad school. Just kidding, I won't fail out.

Here's what I'm trying to figure out: how I can I slide into his gig when he leaves ESPN? I'm sure there are plenty of other bloggers around the country that want to do it. They're probably all more qualified than me, except for one thing: like Simmons, I know that I'm an idiot. I don't think I have the best word on any of my teams. I think I usually have something good to say, or intriguing, or insightful. But I'm wrong. A lot. My love for Darius Miles? Ridiculous. My belief that Tom Ashworth would be moved to left guard for the Seahawks to fill in seamlessly for Hutchinson? Ashworth can't even play his natural tackle position well.

And yeah, maybe you didn't know I thought those things until I just wrote them. But I did. And I just wrote them. See, I'm an idiot too.

Here's another reason I should fill in for Simmons: I don't try to come up with ideas that could be mistaken for his. I either blatantly rip him off, or I come up with my own ideas. Of course these have been influenced by reading his stuff for the last six years, but they've also been influenced by a bunch of "serious" writers.

I've got the right teams, too. The Blazers are woeful. The Seahawks were on the cusp, but now it's questionable. And the Braves are trying to get back, but are firmly caught on the fence. Plus, I like college sports for a university that has one historic program, but a recent juvenation in several sports. And the historic program is running. These teams fit to take over for a long-suffering Red Sox franchise, a previous doormat/now dominant Patriots franchise, and a formerly great/now mediocre Celtics team.

A few other random reasons:
  1. I like the NBA much better than the college game, which is inexplicable to many people
  2. I know a decent amount about other subjects, and would bring pop culture into the discussion
  3. I have a good group of friends who could give me ideas, the way the Sports Guy used to be
  4. I provide a contrast to his Boston saturation, spreading the love cross-country
  5. Plenty of drug jokes about Oregon
  6. Like I said at the outset, I'm already becoming the Sports Guy, so why shouldn't I have his job?

No comments: